Saturday, October 27, 2012

Will Kim- My favorite...

           Will you dare to face, even the death itself, to fulfill your destiny and claim what is rightfully yours? If so, you may want to read this book. It is about what is right and wrong.
‘The Three Musketeers’, written by a Frenchman named Alexander Duma, is over 800 pages long. It may seem very long at first. But once you fall for it, there’s no coming out. Although it was written in the 19th century, it is still one of the world’s best read novels. Alexander Duma was born in 1802 and lived until the 1870. Before his death, he mentioned that ‘The Three Musketeers’ was his most beloved work.
The story of ‘The Three Musketeers’ starts by introducing a young boy (well more likely a teenager) Daartanang who is fearless, optimistic, but too young to face the danger of this world. The story deepens as Daartanang is involved with the three musketeers, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Every one of these musketeers has their own way of thinkings, styles, and behaviors. But somehow they are so well interwoven together that nothing can break their friendships. Daartanang later is involved with the king of France, the queen of France, the cardinal, and above all, Malady. The story of the Three Musketeers cannot continue its long story of 800 pages without the evilness of Malady. Plot is deepened and the true color of Malady is revealing piece by piece. She is not just a threat to Daartanang and his companions, but a threat to the whole entire kingdom of France. It is up to Dartanang and his musketeers to stop this evilness from spreading. In the course of this, many of Daartanang's friends suffer, Daartanang himself also suffers greatly due to the assasination of his beloved one. But in the end Malady is executed because of her immorality and inhumanity.
Reasons why this book caught my attention was first because of its thickness. I really enjoy thick books especially if it is my favorite genre. Reasons why I do not normally enjoy short story is because I don't get time to fall into the story. To be specific, when I read short stories, the story just ends when I am just at the verge of tasting a bit of the story. I hate it. Second reason why this book caught my eyes was its genre. Adventurous, a little bit of romance, action, thrill, wide scale, and crime. It is just fantastic.
 I recommend all of us to read this book in English. Yes.

10 comments:

  1. Haha. It is hard for me to read 800 pages book in English.
    Good essay, anyway.
    Who is your favorite character in this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will face it! But It is hard to read it, because it is too long. What is that books korean name? I want to read in Korean haha....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already did it (HAHAHA)
    Few months ago, I watched the movie-version of Three Musketeers and after watching it, I began reading the English version of the book.
    I really enjoyed it, and I want to recommend it to everyone in this class as you do. (Try to read it, guys, It's fun!)
    Here's my question: When did you read it? Did you read the Korean version before you read the English version?

    ReplyDelete
  4. which personality of the three is most like you? why?
    what about Malady was evil?
    which parts of the story could you relate to the most as a human? as a Christian? as a sinner? as someone saved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your essay, will. I wiil read what you recommended when I planned to read a novel. I wanted to hear more about your personal reflection of this book's lessons or tastes. So this is my question. Would you tell me the lesson you have learned from this book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will! :-) I have watched the musical of Three Musketeers, and I think the book will be really great too!
    Which chracter did you like the most among the three musketeers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will wrote about "the three musketeers". the story runs by daartanang involved with Athos, Porthos, and Aramis and france King and Queen. and malany did all that thing. he she is bad guy. he she dies. and a happy ending. i like this book will. it is interesting. you said you like thick books. what book was the longest? and how long?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one, Will. I got hooked by reading your essay mostly about describing evil stuffs.
    Must get one of that book. I couldn't agree more with reading thick books deepens our minds.
    I wonder what lesson did you earned from reading the story of this book?

    ReplyDelete