Sunday, November 25, 2012

Essay 4: The Gunpowder Plot( Narrator: Guy Fawkes)


Event: Gunpowder Plot
Narrator: Guy Fawkes.




     Greeting, young fellas. My name is Guy Fawkes and you may heard about me if you studied England's history.Of course, I know that you didn't, so  I would like to introduce my self  with some informations that are related to me in your generation. How do I know this? Sorry. but I'm the GUY.

     Firstable, the word 'guy' you guys are using was originated from my name. Haha. Remarkable, Isn't it? Well,  I feel uncomfortable. Second, the national holiday at november 5th in England, the day when people burn the figure of me, and do the fireworks and have  good times with family was originated from the 'Gunpowder Plot' which I executed. As I have mentioned, I feel miserable about burning my figures. Why? Third, I'm remembered as one of the most notorious terrorist in the history. I don't know what's the problem with the England historian.

     I guess you might know quite enough about me now. From this moment, I'll describe the reason why I had to execute the Gunpowder treason, and how much I had to suffer because of it, and the cruelty of the English government which King James1 ruled over. Please do not remember my story as a fairy tale. Some people might assess me as a radical terrorist or religious fanatic, but to advocate my self, I'm not. What I did was to protect my neighborhoods religious freedom, and the spritual conscience and, the dignity as a human. I couldn't hold back anymore for the brutal government's inhumanity.

     The generation when I lived was the time when King James 1 conquered the England. When he reached the thrown, he declared that the England's national religion is the Protestant Church. From this point, he carried out a  injustifiable policy with religion that who believes Catholic or another branch of protestant will be pay fines ore be imprisoned or be dead at worse. Many of Catholists or another protestants had to hide their religion and continue the faith in silence.(Cannon,John. The Oxford Companion to British History(revised edition)) Oh, my holy nation was completely saturated by beast's tyranizze.

     Far more, King James 1 concluded the peace with Spain, which country supported and tried to sustain Catholism in our nation. As a result, Catholists became hopeless and were betrayed by the nation.(Cannon,John) Eventhough James is the king and it's the fact, It couldn't be acknowledge to me that the King who is overusing the power against God. Moreover, people of God was abused by his evil domination. Numbers of  neighborhood was hanged in front of my eyes, even the kids. If you were me, what would you do? Don't you think someone should do something as a God's slave, liberate the people who is threatened and weaken? How dare could he trample the people who believe in the same name of "God"? How could man who believe in Jesus do these things? It can't. Absolutely not. He was damn wrong, and what he did is not a work of faith, it was just an violence.

     Therefore, I decided to recover my nation's freedom from a tyrant. While I served one noble in England, I met the man who was really faithful and loyal to the nation and God. Similar to me, he couldn't stand with the James' oppression.(Encyclopedia.com "Guy Fawkes") We both shared the same idea that if Catholists maintain the passive political position, the doom of the England's light will be come soon, and it was sure that we just cannot depend on the assembley because it was uncertain how much longer they will keep resist with James' force.

     So we determined to reform the government, and build from the ground-zero. There was no other way. We founded out that at the day november 5th, king, Lords, and commons were assembled for the opening of the new session. It was a God-given chance to assassinate them all, and raise up the flag of revolution.(Cannon,John) I was expert in gunpowder and bombs because I was in a Spanish military association and I had many experiences.(Encyclopedia.com) Thus we located the tunnel to the parliament under the ground cave, and loaded barrels of gunpowder in order to blow up the parliament.(Cannon, John)

     The preparation was done, and the only thing that I had to do was just igniting the massive amount of gunpowder. In the midnight, before to excute the strategy, I got down on my knees and prayed to God. It was the most silent moment in my life time. The memory of war and the smell of  the blood I had passed away like a dim light. The tunnel was so calm and chill. There was no turning back. I had to do what I must. The prosperity and the peace of Catholic of England was all handed to me. I said to God "Please give me a courage to do what is right." I stood up and reached my hand to a lantern.

     Suddenly,  sounds of many footsteps vibrated in the tunnel. I heard the man shouting, "He's there! Catch him right now!" I realized at the moment that someone had leak the information to the people of government.(Cannon, John) In this imminent situation, I had to just throw the lamp and hope that the fire is ingnited to the gunpowder. I caught the lamp and threw it to the barells as far as I could. Then I put out my sword and said, "God's justice is upon you now." I brandished the sword to the soldiers and I killed 3 soldiers, but there was too many soliders and I couldn't beat them all although I was a vetteran. Three study man held my tightly and I was completely captured. "Let's go! you fanatic!" one of the soldier shouted. I immediately resisted to be dragged out of the tunnel, and turned my head toward to the gunpowder. but there was no any light or smoke. One man was  putting the fire out at his end of foot after he poured the water on the barrel.

     When I arrived at some darkroom where I don't know, they tied me at the chair and asked me a question right away. "Who's your company?" I answered with silence. Few times more he asked but he seemed gave up in a minute. He knew that I was never going to say the names. He commended soldiers "Show him what is a hell." Instantly they took me to an instrument which seemed like a bed. I was tied my 2 legs and 2 arms tightly in a corner of it. "You will sure going to confess your sin and beg for the mercy." The instrument was activated. Extreme pain was occured in my body. I thought that my body was tearing to 4 pieces. I screamed and yelled, the suffer was I never have experinced, freaky, but I couldn't reveal the name of my company.(Encyclopedia.com)

     Days after, I couldn't endure anymore. I couldn't think anything. My body was completly became diabled and my most of muscles were cut out, skins were pulple blue and my shape was not a human kind. I screamed and begged. "Catsbey! He's the leader!" Soon I revealed all the name of conspirators, and when my conscious came back, I was going somewhere on a coach.

    The soldiers imprisoned me and laughed at me. "Son of the beast came to die at last." In the dark stinky room, unable to do anything I was just lying down on the cold floor, wating for God's salvation. 'God...... why are you doing this to me?' I asked to God in my mind but there was no answer. I was so frustrated about the failure. When the morning came, sunshine came through in my eyes painfully and soldiers dragged me out of the prison, and headed to somewhere. While moving one of the solider said "You're going to die right away. King James sentenced you death." When I arrived at a scaffold. People screamed and shout at me. " You devil! How dare you try to touch our holy king James!" "Kill him! Kill him now!!" They threw stones to me. They spitted on me. At the last moment, I shouted. "God! Please save our country!"

I imagined what if I had succeeded it. I dreamed of the freedom that our people and nation will freely worship God in own ways, and live in peace. But I don't regret it. I believe my behavior became one of the examplary that Cahtolics became more subjective and independant, saying what they must say, and do what they must do. Like the old wisdom says, "Man dies, but one's idea never dies."


Bibliography

Cannon,John. The Oxford Companion to British History(revised edition).Oxford University Press, USA April 3, 2003
"Fawkes, Guy." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2007. Encyclopedia.com. 24 Nov. 2012 <http://www.encyclopedia.com>.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------




Event: Gunpowder Plot
Narrator: Guy Fawkes.
 
Background information of ‘Gunpowder Plot’
In 1605, after James 1 had became king of England at 1603, He carried out a restrictive policy to Catholics which subjected them to fines, imprisonment and even death. In addition, James 1 concluded peace with Spain which country supported England’s Catholics. However, he backtracked the policy because of continuing objection of the parliament, nevertheless it left Catholics to feel frustrated and hopeless with their nation.
Thus, some of radical Catholics, including Guy Fawkes decided to destroy the English government by blowing up the parliament at November 5th when the king, Lords, and Commons were assembled for the opening of the new session.
However, the plot was betrayed and the conspirators captured, tried and executed.(Cannon,John. The Oxford Companion to British History(revised edition).Oxford University Press, USA April 3, 2003)
 
Background information of ‘Guy Fawkes’
Guy Fawkes was born at 1570 13, between father who belonged to protestant church and mother who was very closed to Catholic but had to attend to the church. After his father died when he was age 8, his mother married with a recusant(which means who refused the national religion in England) and moved their home. From this moment, Fawkes began to com in contact with who secretly believed Catholic and he also entered St. Peter’s school.
When Fawkes reached adulthood, he became serious with Catholicism and became military of Spanish army which was under the control of Europe’s great Catholic power. He was assessed very highly and described as man of great piety, of exemplary temperance, faithful, cheerful, and so on.
While he was serving one of English noble, he met the conspirators and he became a executor of Gunpowder Plot, because he was an expert for gunpowder and his personality and virtue was very noble. Conspirators loaded the numerous barrels of gunpowder thorough the under tunnel which linked to the parliament.
But the plot was betrayed and Guy was captured by the England soldiers and tortured for 2 days. At last, he confessed the conspirators and all of them were founded and executed.

"Fawkes, Guy.Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2007. Encyclopedia.com. 24 Nov. 2012                        <http://www.encyclopedia.com>.



4 comments:

  1. Matthew! I like your essay!:^) I think this is really fresh topic! It is really interesting that the word 'guy' came out from him and there is a day of him! I never heard of Guy Fawkes before reading your essay! Thank you for sharing this interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I felt like real Guy Fawkes came alive and tell me his story.
    Hello. Guy Fawkes. It is too bad that you failed revolution.
    I want to watch V for Vendetta. Bye Guy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew! I like your topic! It is so good topic. Also I didn't know about this before reading this essay. Your story line is also good. Nice essay Matthew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this topic is very new to me. Your creativity is really great. While reading your essay, I could imagine all of his plan and execution. Thank you for sharing nice topic!

    ReplyDelete