Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Jaehyoung Kim: Essay 2

My Favorite Author and Book: C. S. Lewis and The Screwtape Letters

      Few months ago (when I was in Thailand, of course), my class studied about The Screwtape Letters in our literature class. I was amazed by the creativity of C. S. Lewis to write a ‘letter’ from the view of a demon. And while I was reading about it, I was amazed once again because he pointed out many small mistakes of Christians that we unconsciously ignore but can be critical when Satan attacks us. I think C. S. Lewis is surely one of the greatest authors of 20th centuries. So in this essay, I want to share about him briefly and I want to introduce his book The Screwtape Letters.
      C. S. Lewis was born in 1893. His full name is Clive Staples Lewis and he was known as Jack to his family and friends. And his famous works include The Chronicles of Narnia (I think most of us watched the movie-version of it, but I want to recommend everyone to try to read the original book. It’s great!), The Screwtape Letters, and The Space Trilogy. He was born and baptized as a member of Anglican Community, but he fell away from church during his adolescence. Fortunately, some of his friends including J. R. R. Tolkien (the author of The Lord of the Rings) continued to persuade him and he came back to church by 1931. From there on, his faith influenced his writing much and he wrote many books to encourage Christians to ‘live for God’. Now I want to talk about one of these books, The Screwtape Letters.

Remember, he is not, like you, a pure spirit. Never having been a human (Oh that abominable advantage of the Enemy's!) you don't realize how enslaved they are to the pressure of the ordinary.
As long as he retains externally the habits of a Christian he can still be made to think of himself as one who has adopted a few new friends and amusements but whose spiritual state is much the same as it was six weeks ago. - From ‘The Screwtape Letter’

      Among the many books of C.S. Lewis, my favorite book is The Screwtape Letter. As I mentioned already, writing a book from the perspective of a demon is probably what only C. S. Lewis could try. In The Screwtape Letter, Lewis candidly depicts the problems of the modern church, such as Sunday Christian, focusing only on the rites of worship services, etc., and he tells us how to live a ‘real’  Christian life. The brief overview of this book’s plot is like this: A senior demon named Screwtape teaches his nephew Wormwood how to ‘trick’ a human and lead him to hell. This book takes a form of letter by which Screwtape is advising Wormwood. There are several titles of characters that Lewis created to emphasis that he’s writing from the perspective of demon. For example, he used ‘Enemy’ for God and ‘Patient’ for the man whom Wormwood is trying to tempt.
      Although it’s pain to read this book without a dictionary since he had used a lot of highly academical vocabularies in this book (Yeah, he was a professor in Oxford and Cambridge.), I’m sure that it’s a great book for Christians to read. (There are Korean translations available, too!) I found a news that a movie-version of The Screwtape Letters is going to come out by Ralph Winter, the producer of the movie-version of Chronicles of Narnia. Though I’m not sure it’s true or not, but I think it would challenge many Christians and lead them back to God.
      Nowadays, many ‘Christian cultures’ are prospering all around the world. We listen Christian musics, we watch Christian movies, and we even established Christian schools. But I think living only in Christian cultures only makes us like a plant in a greenhouse. God didn't created us to do that. In someday, we must go out to the world. And I think a ‘real Christian’ should live a ‘different’ life, even though they are standing in the world's cultures. I think C. S. Lewis was one of the great Christians who applied it to their lives. When he tried to live ‘differently’, his books influenced not only Christians, but even atheists. Many people came back to faith after reading his books. The ‘real’ Christians who change the world are those who know how to apply God’s message in our life and reveal it throughout their life. I think C. S. Lewis is one of these real Christians and that’s why I like him and his books.

12 comments:

  1. If you want to read the English version of The Screwtape Letters, go to 'http://www.arthursbookshelf.com/sci-fi/lewis/c.%20s.%20lewis%20-%20the%20screwtape%20letters.pdf'. It's 60 years old and it's copyright had been void already (FREE!!!). For a Korean version, visit libraries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jaehyong,

    I read the Screwtape Letters a long time ago, I think when I was too young to understand all of its depth and meaning. Your essay has made me want to go back and read it again! Some of the points you made I didn't know were in the book, so I am excited to go back and read it again.
    I'm impressed by the structure of your essay. It flowed really well and you made good connections to it. My one question: How has C.S. Lewis and this book specifically, affected your life making it your favorite? Can you share an example or story that shows its personal impact on you?
    Thanks for the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your essay is well-structured. If you recommend this book to me strongly, I would firmly going to read it. I have a question. Does this book shows how the gap between the culture and life gets more deepen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your essay is so good. There is what kind of small mistakes that we can do easily? I want to be a true Christian, I will try to read it. Isn't that book is hard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your essay. The book seems to be interesting. I will try it to read in a English version. What part did you enjoy most?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You deceived me to read one! I liked that kind of genre, a rare one. And thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaehyoung! I am really impressed that your favorite book is related to God. I am surprised how you learn and found how to live more like a christian by book.:-) I should read that book! Do you have any other book that also taught you how to live more like a christian which C.S.Lewis wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that i had read that book very interested.
    when i read that book, i was little scared....
    I think there is really devil and they make us to do bad thing and make us further from god. so we have to keep our mind well from devil!!
    umm...........do you think that the devil had invaded our school ??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surprised by that C.S Lewis was a professor of Oxford and Cambridge!
    In your essay your sentence "I think a ‘real Christian’ should live a ‘different’ life, even though they are standing in the world's cultures." I definitely agree with this sentence and that's the thing we should approach. You said that C.S. Lewis is a real Christian and is a great Christian writer, do you know any other christian writer? and do you have books that you were impressed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow I am really touched by your essay. I think C.S Lewis is really great person. His book is really great. I want to ask you about what kind of messages are in the chronicles of Narnia?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a good essay for 10th standard students...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a good essay for 10th standard students...

    ReplyDelete