Sunday, September 23, 2012

My favorite book.

   My favorite literlature is a 'Ressurection' that is written by a russian novelist Tolstoy.To illustrate the breif of the story, a noble named Nekhlyudov, did wrong thing to his lover, and just went away to the army, giving some money to his lover at the same time. Tragically, because of the shock he gave, Mechussa, his lover, become prositute. After years, Mechussa became a criminal by a mistake, Nekhlydov eventually attend to the trial and realise the sin he have made. Nekhlydov struggles to restore his conscience  and recover his lovers from that moment and that's the story. I was fascinated by this book because this was my almost first literlatue I have met in lifetime, and it taught me about 'what human is', and it stroke my conscience as a christian.
  In early days, I was able to read  a good completed literlatue in my home, but refused to read it instead of cheating for a school homework copying the summary in the very end of the book. But, after meeting a teacher who gave me great passion about the reading, I started to read a book of philosophy by my own. But after realizing the fact that If I was going toread a book in depth, I should began from the beginning, a literlature. So I choose the book from a public library in local area. It was a hard task to read a literlature about more than 600 pages (maybe?) which is divided in two part. I struggled for it, and suddenly I was able to recognize myself that I was really enjoying it and influenced by it much. This book gave me a joy of literlature first time.
   In addition, as my mother said in past days, a literlature showed me the true intrinsic of a human's mind. This book describes the people who are corrupted by a system that divides people who are wealth and poor.  Moreover, this book shows almost every aspects of human hypocrisy. While reading the book, I thought every second 'I will not be like this person.' Thus, this book helped me to look inside of the human's complicated  mind. But I couldn't disagree with a fact that actually I was justifying my wealthness (not only a physical matter) and didn't tried to reform my rutified life.
   Last but not least, I was been compeletely striken my conscience after reading this book. A protagonist named  Nekhlyudov, similarly he was reflecting my struggle for conscience, but more fiercely and truly. He gave up his every property and gave it to the tenant. He ends up his immoral life and gives his whole life for who is poor, weak, innocent. Despite of the temptations, he never made a compromise at the end, and purely live for the people with the joy that God gave to him.
I felt this is impossible. But isn't it the life I should live? Throwing away the self-centered life but neighbor-centered, and always struggling for the conscience and don't sitting on the sidelines when people's are suffering? Such as a labor right, land speculation, etc, many of problems are threatening our conscience and taming our life into it's reason. I sometimes reflect myself remembering the life of  Nekhlyudov. I think maybe his lifestory will be the rolemodel of my life.
   Resurrection gave me an unforgatable experience in my life. I hope that  Nekhlyudov keep breathes in somewhere of my conscience and tells me " Don't make a compromise. Keep struggle for your conscience. Follow his will, and throw away the things what you must.

14 comments:

  1. Oh God... Please resurrect me in the next morning....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew,
    First of all, so far your essay has been the first one I've read that has followed the structure we learned last semester with the thesis. So congratulations! Because of that, I could really see the flow in your essay and was convinced why this is your favorite book. Also, this essay made me want to read Resurrection!
    A couple grammar bits: I think you mean "literature." Make sure you get that spelling :) Also, "wealthiness" and "unforgettable".
    I like that you connected this with your personal story. I'd like to hear more about that in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 'Ressurection' written by Tolstoy. A man named Nekhlyudov went to an army leaving his lover behind with wrong behavior he made. Therefore his lover Mechussa became bad and evil. So Nekhlydov tries all of his luck to get back on the moments in past. All in all, Matthew realized 'what human is' reading through this book and stroked him.
    He didn't read through a book completely instead read some part of the book because of a homework. But his pointview turned after meeting a teacher who gave him passion to do read his own. So his accomplishment on his very first book gave him influence of joy.
    This book describes the corruption of society and told him about every aspect of human hypocrisy. Which also made him to self-reflect. He was perceived about how we should live as a christian, such as, caring and centering to neighbors, live for others. Finally, he digs what kind of a person he is and reflects it against Nekhhlydov as a rolemodel.
    " Don't make a compromise. Keep struggle for your conscience. Follow his will, and throw away the things what you must."

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT'S LONG!!!! (just kidding.. :)
    I'm very glad to see the impacts of literature in your essay. I was challenged to read Resurrection, after reading your essay. I'll try.
    And I want to ask you if there is any book of Tolstoy that you want to recommend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was touched by him as he ends up his immoral life and gives his whole life for who is poor, weak, innocent. Despite of the temptations, he never made a compromise at the end, and purely live for the people with the joy that God gave to him. But I wonder how should we act like Nekhlyudov to love a neighbor that you have a conflict with?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too long to read! ㅜㅜ Just kidding haha. I also have Resurrection, but I never read it before. Now I'm going to try to read it. I want to read a book that need a lot of think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your essay. I have a question. How are you trying to behave as your role model?

      Delete
  7. Well you really seems like you like this boo A LOT! and also learned many things from this book. After reading your essay I really got impressed and I realized that you like reading books. It makes me want to read this book! But it seems really hard to read 600 hundred pages... I have a question have you read any other books that are written by Tolstoy? and among them are there any books that you want to recommend us?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matthew! I think I shoul read this book "Ressurection". I think the story would be a little sad and dark but interesting. You did some spelling mistakes but still, I enjoyed your essay!:-) I was surprised how you thought about people by reading a novel. Is there any charcter who made you to want to be like who is different with Nekhlyudov?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Question change.. :-) How do you want to live like Nekhlyudov?

      Delete
  9. Matthew!! you like very good book. I think it's story is very good. It appear person's sadness and darkness.
    oops! I don't have many time .....
    so I should write short,,,, sorry man I will write more next time...
    Anyway, Do you have other books to recommend to me??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I really enjoyed your essay. It's attractive. I admire you with lots of things like you read hard books and you live really hard. Are there any more books that you want to recommend for us to read?

    ReplyDelete